Sunday, January 11, 2009

It Is a Good Day to Die: "The Killers" and Heroic Fatalism

The essay entitled “Hemingway’s ‘Killers’ and Heroic Fatalism: From Page to Screen” would be a good essay concerning perhaps plot outlines of film adaptations of “The Killers”, but not on the topic of heroic fatalism.
The essay starts out with a definition of heroic fatalism, which is that the hero of the tale accepts what is going to happen to him, even if it means death. All well and good. Then the author of the piece goes on to write a short paragraph on the character Ole Andreson and the heroic fatalism he represents. And that just about wraps up the essay as concerns heroic fatalism. The author goes on to give us tidbits of trivia on the making of the two film adaptations, Hemingway’s responses to them, the directors involved, their back stories, the Soviet Union’s view of the first adaptation… alas, no heroic fatalism to be found apart from a snippet here and a morsel there concerning the characters of the films.
Taking into account that “Hemingway’s ‘The Killers’ and Heroic Fatalism” has little to do, in my opinion, on heroic fatalism, then I would have to say that if I happened to be interested in film adaptations of “Killers” then I would give this essay the thumbs up. Ditto if I were interested in plot summaries of the aforementioned adaptations. But if I were interested in heroic fatalism in “The Killers” I would have to go somewhere else for my information rather than use this essay as I find little substance in it concerning the topic that the essay implies to speak upon. Don’t get me wrong; it’s well written, and I honestly liked the work. It had information that I found interesting, particularly concerning “The Killers” and film noir. But it is not, in my opinion, helpful in regards to a study in heroic fatalism.

No comments:

Post a Comment